Truth + Image
Truth + Image
A Da Vinci Art Alliance & Lightbox Film Center Exhibition
September 4th - December 15th, Juried by Bryant Girsch
Public Open Call
Deadline to Submit: August 18th
This open call exhibition will feature artwork that absorbs, captivates, transfixes, and ultimately delivers the viewer to newly imagined destinations. Whether surreal or abstract, documentation or lyrical, visual artwork often reveals much about the artist. In partnership with International House Philadelphia, we at DVAA ask you to share your works of art and imagination. We want to bask in new perspectives, explore new worlds, and witness the truth at the core of art.
Truth + Image - A Da Vinci Art Alliance & Lightbox Film Center Juried Exhibition
September 4th - December 15th - Juried by Bryant Girsch
Deadline to Submit: August 18th
Open Call to all artists and DVAA Members
Over the next few months, International House will be featuring the work of two master storytellers, Swedish filmmaker Ingmar Bergman and Czech animator Jiri Trnka. As with so many master artists, these two breathe life into the characters they create - and the worlds they inhabit. The artistic visions of Bergman and Trnka ultimately explore the multitude of triumphs and despairs that characterize the human condition. However universal the experiences of human nature can be, truly talented artists are marked by their ability to impart new perspectives onto their audiences.
This open call exhibition will feature artwork that absorbs, captivates, transfixes, and ultimately delivers the viewer to newly imagined destinations. Whether surreal or abstract, documentation or lyrical, visual artwork often reveals much about the artist. Where are they from? What draws their inspiration? How do they see the world? These factors are different for each artist but their artwork is always the vehicle in which imagination becomes real. In partnership with International House Philadelphia, we at DVAA ask you to share your works of art and imagination. We want to bask in new perspectives, explore new worlds, and witness the truth at the core of art.
“Painting is not for me either decorative amusement, or the plastic invention of felt reality; it must be every time: invention, discovery, revelation. ”
― Max Ernst
Lightbox Film Center is Philadelphia’s premier exhibitor of film and moving image art. As the signature arts program of International House Philadelphia, an independent nonprofit organization, Lightbox curates and presents an unparalleled slate of repertory, nonfiction, experimental and international cinema. Beyond the traditional movie theater experience, Lightbox delivers enriching film programs with artist talks, live music and other multidisciplinary programs.
This exhibition will take place in the East Alcove Gallery, located in the public lobby of the Lightbox Film Center.
ABOUT THE JUROR:
Truth & Image will be juried by DVAA’s own Exhibitions Coordinator, Bryant Girsch. Girsch is a multidisciplinary artist, curator, and educator. He is a graduate of Tyler School of Art with a Masters in Painting and a Temple University Rome alumni. His work explores the changing context of image making in the digital sphere. Moreover, he has been published in New American Painting, Isthisit?, and Not Random Art critical review, and has exhibited both domestically and abroad.
Submission deadline: August 18th
Artwork Drop-off: August 26th, 11am - 1pm
Opening reception: September 4th
Exhibition dates: September 4th - December 15th
Artwork pick up: December TBA
RULES FOR ENTRY:
- Artist may submit up to 2 entries, no larger than 30” x 30”. Due to specifications of International House’s artspace, all work must be hung from the wall. Additionally video work will not be accepted for this exhibition.
- All artwork must be ready to display. Wall hanging pieces must be wired. If your work requires any additional apparatus to be shown, it must be provided. For artworks that require particularly complex or unique display methods, email Bryant at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the gallery walls at IHP do not adequate support excessively heavy artworks
- Label the back of your work with your name and title of work
- You may not submit work that has been previously exhibited at DVAA
- DVAA is responsible for all press releases, listings, price lists, and gallery labels. Your participation is permission to include images of artwork in promotion. Artwork will be handled with great care, but DVAA is not responsible for loss or damage. Insurance is the responsibility of the artist.
- When the work is delivered the exhibitions director reserves the right to refuse works that are not ready to be shown because of improper framing, fragility, damage or low quality.
- The artist receives 70% commission on artwork sold from the exhibition and as a result of contacts made through the DVAA. Payment to the artist will be sent within 30 days or sooner after the show closes.
- All artwork must be retrieved during the designated Pick Up times. DVAA cannot store artwork at International House.
- If you have other installation needs or specific projects please contact email@example.com to make sure the work is eligible.
- Go to http://www.davinciartalliance.org/calls/truthimage and complete the submission order form and $20 submission fee for members or $30 for non members
- Email submission images to : firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject - "Truth & Image submission"
- All images must be submitted as a jpeg, 72 dpi, 2000 pixels max on longest dimension
- Identify each image as follows: entry number_last name_artwork title.jpg (ex. Smith_1_Untitled.jpg)
- Number your images to correspond with their entry number in the online form. The statement and images may be used for promotion.
- Improperly formatted submissions will not be accepted