Da Vinci Art Alliance (DVAA) builds community through art
Founded by 9 Italian immigrant artists in 1931, Da Vinci Art Alliance (DVAA) has continuously served as a space of creative refuge. Among the founders were Emidio D’Angelo, painter and cartoonist; Severo Antonelli, photographer; Giacomo Colombo, architect; Henry Coscia, architect; Nicolo D’Ascenzo, stained glass artist and first President of the Da Vinci Alliance; Giuseppe Donato, sculptor; Domenico D’Imperio, sculptor; Earnest Lapatino, illustrator; Luigi Maraffi, sculptor; Frank and Anthony Martino, painters, Alex Papale, framemaker; Joseph Primavera, violin maker; Armando Ricci, interior architect; Cesare Ricciardi, portrait artist; and Jules Scalella, commercial artist. This impressive gathering selected a name to honor the famed genius Leonardo of Vinci.
Between the beginning of World War II and 1996 there was little activity at Da Vinci Art Alliance. In 1997 artist, Kathryn Pannepacker breathed new life into the organization by taking up residency in the building, renovating the gallery space, and establishing a web presence for the institution. Under her leadership Da Vinci Art Alliance was reborn.
Our building in South Philadelphia was obtained in 1959 to provide community space and studio, and gallery spaces for our membership. DVAA members are a diverse group of creatives of all ages and backgrounds, including those with advanced degrees in their fields and those that are self-taught. Members include award-winning artists whose works are in museums and private collections across the country as well as emerging artists, showing work for their first time.